Friday, October 24, 2008

Thinking over a glass of wine


Funny how it seems to rain on Fridays. Its usually a celebratory day, but the weather seems to be telling me to put on something comfortable and hit the couch. This week has been good. I decided that Bruce Lee is extremely under appreciated in our current society. Just watch Enter the Dragon. This 1970's flick was exciting, philosophical, and had some of the best sound effects I think I've ever heard. Not to mention, Bruce Lee kicks some serious ass and never seems to run out of strength or valour. But enough about Bruce, he really is completely unrelated to Athens.


A club called the Library has Spicy Salsa every Wednesday. It's extremely fun, but seems hard to get out of there without someone hitting on you. Every girl loves to feel light on her feet and hot, but Latin dancing is already such a "spicy" thing. A close hold, a fast song, and two sweaty bodies are the makings of a potentially nebulous situation. I can't help but wonder if it is not "more" than a dance to one fellow more than another. I'm of the belief that the Cindy Lauper song holds a lot of truth, and girls just want to have fun.


The moral of this week's story is this: If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, then why do we love the chase? Many of us run around in such an objectless manner; whatever it is you are trying to catch. For some of us its love, companionship, attention, a feeling of significance, power, grace. For me this could be a lot of things. I chase after knowledge, a sense of confidence, an occasional flirtatious look from a stranger, a clearer understanding about the mercy the Lord is constantly giving, or even a good long conversation about paradox or mysticism. But I think one could turn this around; look at it from another perspective. Its funny, I was listening to a Sara Bareilles song called Love on the Rocks where she was talking about love and relationship gone sour. She says "you love the chase but hate me for the run around". I dig that. Maybe I kind of like being a bird in the bush. Maybe I'm not ready to give in and be caught yet. Maybe it has something to do with not knowing what I want. Maybe its the wine speaking.....maybe.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I know you pretty well, and could have probably written that last part about you myself. . . . . .Oh, and Enter the Dragon is mine isn't it? . . . . . Sure didn't know I'd want to have so many movies in Sudan.

Mark said...

Ah, sweaty salsa nights... I remember them well. :)

Oh, and I friggin' haaaaate "the chase." It's the absolute worst part of life. Can't we all just skip to "the catch"?