Friday, October 10, 2008

Not a Pity Party

Well, I figured this would be a good way to put my thoughts in writing. I figure not many people will continue to read it any ways, so why not write, right? The significance or meaning of the title is simple. I moved to Athens, GA on August 10. I've been a little down since I've been here (blue); missing friends and family and city life. I traded all of that in for two years of graduate school at UGA (hence the red and black). Adjusting has been coming slowly, especially being surrounded by folks who are not quite like me. For some reason people are more interested in the latest trail they've hiked and not how hard the find the difference in People Magazine was or how great Charlize's shoes were at the last red carpet event. For anyone who knows me...I'm not out-doorsy.

So here it is, the gist, the point, the meat and potatoes: I'll document my "adventures in Athens" and make sure you are aware of any strange customs or findings I might come across. For example, did you know that Hoschton, Ga has the world record for scarecrows. Yep, they have them working on cars, climbing telephone poles, even the Georgia football team is positioned on a field as if awaiting kickoff (which they frequently update based on how the teams are doing). Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSPNMCvh18M Creepy or Cool? I'll let you be the judge. I'm on the fence.

Who knows I may leave here in two years with sentimental feelings and actually become one of "those" people who like to hike (highly unlikely). Or I may have my bags packed 3 months in advance, just waiting to hop in my car and get back to civilization (too harsh? sorry). Yep. So I hope you get a kick out of it. Let me know what you think.

PS: For those of you who are thinking "WTF Bethany, you're not the blogging kind...." I can only reply that boredom will make you do strange strange things. And somehow in my head this is WAY better than doing homework on a Friday night. haha...

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I love it, it's truly Bethany in words. I freakin' miss hanging out with you. Even though I'm about 8,000 miles away, this makes me feel closer to you. Keep 'em coming B.

M said...

what a great picture - who took it? :)

let's move to montreal - land of crepes and fashion-forwardness.